For those of you familiar with my site, you’ll know that I used to do weekly posts featuring my favorite reads from travel blogs, as well as a round-up of world news. Now that I’m back in school, though, I haven’t had the time to do those round-ups each week. However, I kind of miss them! Sure, I can retweet my favorite posts on Twitter or share them on Facebook. But I like highlighting the really good stuff this way, too.

So welcome to Best Blogs of the Month! I’ll be doing these round-ups once a month, summing up my favorite 15-20 reads from the previous few weeks.

Here are my favorite reads from January 2012:

My Top 3

Can you date the non-traveler? at Matador Life

It’s a question that many travelers find themselves pondering — is it possible to date or fall in love with someone who is not a traveler? Answers will differ, of course, but this very well-written piece examines one side of the debate.

Getting Scammed in the World’s Oldest City at Where’s My Toothbrush?

Getting scammed is never fun. But the fact that it happened to her in the midst of India’s holy city of makes the experience even more difficult for Sarah to accept. Not only is this a very well-written post about falling prey to a popular scam, but it also gives perspective on Varanasi.

Into a Soviet Bunker at Katie Going Global

Read this awesome tale of venturing into a former Soviet bunker, and share in Katie’s confusion over the whole intense experience.

My Other Picks

Argentina: I Love You But I’m Not In Love With You at Travelated

In this post, Rease, an American expat, discusses her decision to bid farewell to Argentina, where she had been living in Buenos Aires. Written in the style of a breakup letter, this post is very honest in acknowledging Argentina’s faults — something we need more of in travel blogging!

Sex when traveling: location, location, location at Finding the Universe

Normally, a “how/where to have sex when you travel” post would not hold my attention long enough to make it onto this list. It’s been done before. Many times. But not quite like this! The illustrations Laurence includes in this post make it totally list-worthy in my eyes.

Into the Sahara: My Camel Hates Me at Hecktic Travels

One travel couple. The Sahara Desert. And a camel named Farty. … Pete and Dalene ventured into Africa’s Sahara desert recently, and even though Dalene’s camel didn’t like her very much, the experience seems like it was amazing. Some great photos in this post, too!

A taste of Thailand… Our first impressions at Globetrotter Girls

This photo-filled post will catch your attention in much the same way I imagine Thailand itself would. Check out Dani and Jess’ first impressions of this crazy, beautiful country.

How Anxiety Helps Me Travel at Brooke vs. the World

In this very honest post, Brooke talks about how her struggles with anxiety have actually made her a better traveler. The things Brooke gets anxious about are things I feel like many people (including myself) can relate to. But instead of letting them stop her, Brooke is motivated most by the anxiety that her anxiety will hold her back.

How to Seduce and Ostrich: A Step by Step Guide at Expert Vagabond

Whether you really want to learn how to seduce one of these large birds or you just want to learn a few fun facts about them, definitely check out this post. It certainly gave me a chuckle!

Budapest’s Steamy Széchenyi Thermal Baths at Technosyncratic

The photos alone in this post make me want to get to Budapest and all her thermal baths ASAP. This place is definitely going on my list for this summer.

Chiang Mai is Not For Everyone at Adventurous Kate

Even though Chiang Mai has become one of the most popular places for nomads to relocate to in South East Asia, it is not without its faults. Though most of these faults are never mentioned, Kate brings attention to them in this post about why she could never live there. You can always rely on Kate to present an honest dissenting viewpoint if one is warranted.

Ten Weird Laws From Around the World at GapDaemon

I love the weird and quirky, and this post is a perfect example. Check out some of the strangest rules/laws from around the world. For example, did you know emo clothing is not allowed in Russia?

Hitchhiking in New Zealand: The Adventure at Travel Freak

Jeremy proves in this post that travel is very often all about the journey instead of the destination. I loved reading this tale of hitchhiking from Wellington to Gisborne to celebrate New Year’s.

Video: A Mystical Call to Prayer at Wanderplex

The video in this post, of the call to prayer echoing out across Wadi Rum in Jordan, is beautiful and haunting and incredible all at once. Definitely have a listen.

Video Posts

Dance of the Spirits: Real-Time Aurora Footage

This footage of the Northern Lights from last month in Norway absolutely blows me away. THIS is what I want to see myself someday.

Our visit to Forks at Captain and Clark

I love Tawny and Chris, and especially love this tongue-in-cheek video from their visit to Forks, Washington, home to Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series.

Shit Travel Bloggers Say at Travel Yourself

Just because it’s true and funny…

Have you read or written a post that you’d like me to consider for next month’s round-up? Leave a link in the comments!

32 Responses to Best Blogs of the Month: January, 2012

1. Christine says:

The one about dating a non-traveler–SO GOOD. Thanks for sharing!
    Christine recently posted..The joy of traveling with a Kindle

Wasn’t it though? Definitely one of the better travel-related things I’ve read recently! Glad you enjoyed it, too.

2. Jeremy says:

Great roundup, per usual! I, too, loved reading the post about dating a non-traveler. As I’m still traveling I haven’t really had to think about that…yet.

Thanks for including me :-)
    Jeremy recently posted..An interview with Rita Golden Gelman, Female Nomad

3. Sarah says:

Thanks for including my Varanasi scam post, Amanda!

However you do realize that me making this list only kind of encourages me to have these sort of mishaps in the future, right? :)
    Sarah recently posted..Pushkar: The Perfect Place for Playing Hide-and-Seek (that’s a whole lot of “p’s”)

No problem, Sarah! It was a great post!

And feel free to keep sending me posts about mishaps (or anything else, for that matter!). ;)

4. SuzyQ says:

Wow, I just opened up a dozen tabs to check out your recommendations! Though I am not sure the two post I wrote so far this month will fit your bill, this week I’m writing about our Grand Canyon trip and I’ll makes sure to come back and submit it!
    SuzyQ recently posted..Smooth Sailing

Awesome! I’m glad many of these caught your eye, as well!

And definitely come back and link to that Grand Canyon post… what an awesome place!

5. So many interesting posts we had not seen yet!! Great selection – and thanks for including our Thailand post :)
    Dani | Globetrottergirls recently posted..Thaipusam 2012: Incredible Images of a painful Hindu tradition – with video

Good to hear! Hopefully you’ll discover one or two good ones from this list!

And of course, no problem! I loved that Thailand post of yours.

6. Angela says:

Thanks for including Matador’s post on dating a non-traveler, my eternal doubt!
    Angela recently posted..A trip, a photo – Would you RANT a motorbike?

7. Thanks for including us, good to hear that you liked the post – and yeah, we were pretty surprised/amused to find out that emo clothing is banned in Russia. Funny old world, etc etc…

8. Laurence says:

Thanks so much for including me this month Amanda :) Have a great February!
    Laurence recently posted..In photos: Kings Canyon, Australia

9. Julie says:

I love the call to prayer, although I have never been to the Middle East and I am a Christian. It is so special, great echo…
    Julie recently posted..dentistry cosmetic

10. Ha, the video of Forks, WA cracked me up – I hadn’t seen that! After I read the books I couldn’t help but wonder if Forks actually existed… but clearly not enough to actually google it, lol.
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..Adventures in Thai Massage

I kinda feel bad for Forks… I’m sure it used to be a perfectly cute logging town. Now though… *shudder* And the kicker is, Stephanie Meyer didn’t even bother to visit it first before she set her “saga” there. I’m offended on behalf of the people of Forks. Lol.

11. I’m impressed that you could ever do this weekly. I don’t even think I could do it monthly right now, and I am not in school or at a full-time job!
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..When a Hostel Defines Your Travel Experience

12. Katie says:

Thanks for including me! And thanks for including the Shit Travel Bloggers Say video – I never had a chance to watch it when it was first posted. Hilarious!
    Katie recently posted..Freezing My Butt Off in Ukraine

13. Dalene says:

Woot! Thanks again Amanda! :)
    Dalene recently posted..Connecting Countries at Ellis Island

14. Can’t wait to check these links out!
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..Chicago: Day 5

15. Definitely a great list with some intriguing stories! I will have to check these out this weekend! :)
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..A new look on Facebook and changes for Budget Travel Adventures!

16. Sam says:

A lot of great posts. Some I’ve read already, a lot I’ve got to get out and read though.
    Sam recently posted..Hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park