I’m a big proponent of studying abroad. In fact, if I had it my way, it would be required for all university students. Today’s sponsored post, therefore, really strikes a chord with me. If you’ve ever considered a semester or year abroad, here are some great locations to consider.

10 Exciting Places to Study Abroad

The world is a big place, and there are some incredible adventures to be found wherever you go. Combining study with budgeting and adventure is surprisingly easy if you know where to look. We’ve compiled 10 of the most amazing places to study abroad for a flavor of what’s out there.

Studying abroad widens your horizons, teaches you more about yourself, and gives you insights into a whole host of different cultures and languages. Study credits are obtainable, depending on what course you choose, and all sorts of skills and expert knowledge can be picked up along the way.

Globes to withdraw

1. New Zealand

For those who prefer the great outdoors for a classroom, New Zealand is the place to study abroad. Full of national parks and wildlife reserves, these two islands have conservation, scientific exploration, environmental issues and breathtaking views covered — not to mention equally breathtaking activities such as bungee-jumping, sky-diving, white-water rafting and zip-wiring through the canopy of incredible forests.

(Editor’s note: I fully support NZ as a study abroad destination!)

2. Siberia, Russia

For some extreme temperatures, visit Siberian Russia to pick up some Russian, take an internship, work in a museum or cultural centre, and learn about the intricate history of the region — whether in socio-economic terms from its colonisation to industrialisation to a market economy, or in terms of the local and global issues of its changing environment.

Ulan-Ude

Photo by: seseg_h, on Flickr

3. Fiji Islands

Learn how to scuba dive in the soft coral capital of the world. Budget-orientated dive resorts can combine sun, sea, study, and affordability all in one. Gain your PADI Advanced Open Water and become an expert in Fijian marine biology by signing up to Marine Conservation and Diving projects.

4. Pondicherry, India

Develop cross-cultural skills and work for an NGO with Pondicherry University in India. There’s no bigger adventure than India, with its vast railway network spanning the entire continent from the northern deserts to the southern tropics.

Pastel town

Photo by: Nomad Tales, on Flickr

5. Mexico City

Mexico’s ancient civilizations of the Mayans, Aztecs and Zapotecs mean there’s a lot more to history here than beach-break parties. Study social sciences, economics, ancient history, and Spanish language and literature whilst scaling the magnificent Piaccho del Diablo (Devil’s Peak) 10,000 foot peak — there are no signposts, though, so bring a compass.

6. Nepal and Tibet

The little mountain states of Nepal and Tibet have plenty to offer, whether summer programs, internships, academic courses or volunteer schemes. Teaching the local children can gain you a TEFL certificate; community development, trekking and rafting are also on offer; and complete cultural immersion can be found if you choose to live in a hilltop monastery.

Tibet

Photo by: archer10 (Dennis) SLOW, on Flickr

7. Northern Canada

Take an Arctic Journey from the north of Canada and spend your time camping out in igloos on its barren ice shelf — it doesn’t get much more hardcore than this. Courses available include Arctic Geography and Environment and Inuit Political Development and Governance.

8. Cape Town, South Africa

It’s not often you can spend a day on safari and learn about social activism. The very new democracy of South Africa makes this the perfect place to study contemporary politics. And, if you want to get away from the city, visit Cape Point and its penguin colony or the island prison where Nelson Mandela was held.

A pair of African penguins, Boulders Beach, South Africa

Photo by: Paul Mannix, on Flickr

9. Morocco, North Africa

Acquiring knowledge of the ever-more-vital Arabic tongue is always going to be a real feather in your cap. And in Morocco, the terrain is an adventure in itself. Climb the Atlas mountains to the Saharan villages, cross the desert by camel, or take surfing and Yachtmaster courses at a lively coastal resort.

10. Norfolk, England

Next to these exotic locations, England may seem like a no-go for adventurous study abroad. Yet England boasts many of the best educational institutions in the world, and some of the most beautiful landscapes. Renowned summer schools in the East of England offer a vast range of academic programs and the chance to experience English culture at its very finest, with the beautiful Norfolk coastline and the royal seat of Sandringham a stone’s throw away, and the historic cities of London and Cambridge close by.

River Bure at Horning, Norfolk

Photo by: john47kent, on Flickr

Wherever you go, studying abroad expands your perspectives on the world. You’ll be telling your grandchildren about these adventures in years to come.

Have you studied abroad? If so, where? If not, do any of these destinations intrigue you?

This article was supplied by the University of East Anglia International Summer School — one of the UK’s top 20 universities offering a wide selection of summer study abroad programs. For more advice about studying in the UK, visit The British Council website.

20 Responses to 10 Exciting Places to Study Abroad

1. Leah says:

I studied in Costa Rica long before it became a tourist mecca. I loved it, and wished I would have studied in Europe as well.
    Leah recently posted..Like that Time I Met the Pope…

I wish I would have spent my whole college career studying abroad!! Lol, okay, so not really… but it WAS a great experience.

2. I love the view of Norfolk!

When I was in college, I was a Rhodes Scholar nominee. At the time, I had no interest in going abroad to study. It wasn’t until a year later when I went to Estonia that I went out of the country for the first time. And now I wish I had pursued the Rhodes Scholar. I probably wouldn’t have even come close to winning but I wished now I had taken the chance!
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..How my travel bucket list can change your life

3. Laurence says:

I love the idea of Norfolk being included with these other destinations! Although to someone reading this in Pondicherry, maybe rural, flat Norfolk is an exotic dream ;)
    Laurence recently posted..In photos: Kings Canyon, Australia

I think all of the place on this list sound exciting for different reasons — Norfolk because it’s so close to everything in the UK!

4. I do not believe in having regrets, except I do have one. Not studying abroad. I have no idea why, but it never occurred to me. But I’m making up for it now :-)
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..When a Hostel Defines Your Travel Experience

I know a lot of people who regret not studying abroad in college — especially those who are now in love with travel! But you are most certainly making up for it now, so that should at least be some consolation. :)

5. Julie says:

Wow, I went to Italy which was beautiful but definitely not as adventurous as some of these places! I love the photo of Pondicherry, India. Beautiful color.

If you’re a student interested in joining a travel blogging community check out http://www.studentsgoneglobal.com which is launching soon and will be the Tumblr of the study abroad world!
    Julie recently posted..Study Abroad Bitches

6. Curt says:

I spent the better part of a year studying in Montpellier, France. It’s a medieval university city in the south of France, with pleasant weather and a young, vibrant, international student population. It’s also a short ride on a local bus from the Mediterranean coast. The experience was unforgettable.

Note to those of you with regrets: I was there nearly a decade after I finished my university studies. It’s never too late.
    Curt recently posted..Photo: Cannes Film Festival

7. Rebecca says:

You don’t have to leave the country to experience a new culture. I did the National Student Exchange program and got to experience a the “real college experience as well as a real New England winter” (things I wasn’t experiencing at my home school) during my “study abroad. Dirt cheaper and got to have new and different experiences at the same time!
    My only recc, check out the study abroad office and see what they offer and pick what is best for you. There maybe something on offer that you didn’t even know about!
    Rebecca recently posted..Random Weekend: Book: Travels in Outback Australia: Beyond the Black Stump

Very good point! You can “study abroad” without actually going abroad at all. Because, let’s face it, the U.S. is so diverse that different parts of it can often feel like different countries!

I agree that it can never hurt to just pop into your study abroad office to check out what your options are. I see fliers for undergrad study abroad everywhere here in grad school, and I wish I could do it all over again!

8. Sabrina says:

So many possibilities :) I studied abroad in…. Texas. I’m German, so the US counts, right? :) Had a great time and met so many fun people. As part of my studies I also did an internship in Paris and loved being tourist on the weekends while exploring the city.
    Sabrina recently posted..Workout On The Road: Running The South China Botanical Garden

Of course the U.S. counts! I always find it interesting some of the places people end up studying abroad in in the U.S., though. For example, I have NO idea why students choose to come to Ohio for their experience abroad! Haha.

9. Courts says:

I recommend Indonesia. I’ve studied there twice and done an internship there as part of my degree and had an amazing time. The country has so much to offer in terms of culture and has a really diverse mix of people as well as stunning scenery.

There are so many opportunities out there in Southeast Asia. Such a beautiful part of the world
    Courts recently posted..The Jogja Clubbing Experience

Southeast Asia would be a great study abroad destination. Not only because of the food, landscapes and culture, but also because of how easy (and affordable) it is to travel there. I don’t think you can have a true study abroad experience without also traveling a bit!

10. Joseph says:

Even though I’m 30 and finished medical school, I want to start studying again – weird, I know. This time however, I want to study something totally different, in the lines of literature, or business, or some skills that would get me in the book industry (proof reading, editing, and so on). Just the other day I was looking into schools in the US that would give me the chance to broaden my horizons. I’ve been in the US 4 times now, and I left a part of my heart and soul there (I’m from Romania – looking forward to your visit this summer :) ). From the destinations you mentioned, I would really like to go to Tibet and Fiji!
    Joseph recently posted..Chicken Soup for the Soul – Food and Love by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen and Amy Newmark

It’s funny how some people just love learning, and could be happy just staying in school forever! Sometimes I think I’m one of those people…