I must admit that, yes, sometimes I can be a pretty impulsive person.
Whether it's something I want to do, somewhere I want to go, or something I want to buy, often once I get an idea in my head, there is little time between the formation of that idea and its implementation.
And being impulsive has, at times, impacted the way I travel, too. In fact, some of my best travel memories have come from me being impulsive.
Like the time my friend Jamie and I had a few hours to kill and decided to spend them bungy jumping.
Or the time two of my study abroad friends and I decided last-minute to book a small plane flight, which took us up over snow-capped mountains on a gorgeously clear day in one of my favorite travel memories to date.
Or, how about the time when I won a semi-sponsored trip to New Zealand, bought a plane ticket the next day, and was South Hemisphere-bound within three weeks?
It's exciting to give into impulses when you travel — even if it sometimes means taking a hit to the wallet. I think part of the reason we travel in the first place is for the unexpected opportunities that can crop up. We thrive off the potential of the unknown. And those of us who take advantage of those unplanned moments — those of us who give in to the impulses — are the ones who often come away with some of the best stories and memories.
So what do you think? Are YOU impulsive when you're on the road? If you aren't sure, I've compiled some signs submitted by other travelers that might suggest that you, too, are an impulsive traveler.
Signs You Might be an Impulsive Traveler:
- You make last-minute decisions to tackle huge trips.
- You agree to a trip before even knowing where you're going.
- You agree to a trip even when invited by a complete stranger.
- You join up with complete strangers on long-term adventures.
- You would travel to another country for a blind date.
- You make huge changes to your plans because somebody asks you to.
- You make huge changes to your plans just because you feel like it.
- You have a large collection of maps from places you've never been… just in case.
- You look up airfares to places you'd someday like to go, just for fun.
- You book a good airfare deal on a whim. You can figure out details later, right?
- Your friends and family always assume you're traveling.
- You never fully unpack, because you could be on the road again at any moment.
- You always keep your options open.
- You choose a destination by closing your eyes and spinning a globe.
- You book a flight/train to one destination, and decide at the airport/station to go somewhere different.
- You very rarely book anything ahead of time.
- If you do have a trip plan, you have to throw it out the window by Day 2.
- You never go into travel with a Plan B. Plan B is what gets made up on the road.
- You carry more than 3 currencies on you at any given time.
- You choose a destination and go without knowing a thing about it.
- Guidebooks schmidebooks.
So, are you an impulsive traveler? Are there any other “signs” that you would add to this list? Leave them in the comments below!