Road Trip Day 2 – Melting in St. Louis

Very little of Day 2 of our road trip was actually spent on the road. In fact, most of it was spent OFF the road, in the oppressive St. Louis heat. Seriously, it should not be allowed to be this hot and humid.

After a late start to the day, Melissa and I went with Scott (our lovely host in St. Louis) for burgers with Adam of World Travel for Couples. We went to Blueberry Hill in “The Loop” section of the city, which is kind of hip and funky and full of character. The burgers were delicious, and the place was close to the Metro station.

Which was good, since our next stop was the Gateway Arch downtown.

Melissa and I hopped on the Metro and headed to the Arch, which, as it turns out, is actually part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial — run by the National Park Service. Too bad I left my National Parks pass in my car. Oops.

The Arch is extremely impressive in person, towering 630 feet over the Mississippi River, with the city of St. Louis as a backdrop.

We paid the $10 to take the tram to the top of the Arch, which was an experience in itself. In order to get to the top of the curvy structure, you have to crawl (literally, crawl; the doors are only about 5 feet high) into this little pod-like contraption, which then shimmies its way up the interior of the Arch. At the top, little rectangular windows offer you views out over St. Louis on one side, and the Mississippi River and Illinois on the other.

After riding the tram back down to ground level and taking a stroll through the Western Expansion Museum, Melissa and I headed back outside for some silly photos with the Arch. Was this my favorite (and sweatiest) part of the day? You bet.

Gateway Arch, St. Louis, Missouri

Then it was back to Scott's place for some famous Ted Drewes Frozen Custard. I got a “raspberry brownie concrete” (the “concrete” part meaning it was thick), and it was delicious.

All in all, a good day in St. Louis, even if I did almost melt into a puddle several times.

Each day, I'll be cutting together a quick video to show you what we've been up to. Here's Day 2:

Tomorrow, it's on to Tulsa, Oklahoma!

• Adam says:

YAY! Glad you had fun in your day in St. Louis. It was awesome seeing you again and meeting your sister. Sorry it was so damn hot. Ugh, just ridiculous, but it seems like you made a great day out of it anyway. I may have to go to Ted Drewes now tonight. It sounds delicious! Have so much fun on the rest of your journey!

It was great seeing you again, too, Adam! And it’s not your fault it was so hot… that’s just what we get for traveling through the South in August! Regardless, though, we had a fun day in St. Louis. So yay!

And I think you definitely need some Ted Drewes, ASAP!

• Yay! I went to college in St. Louis so I love the places you went! Adam’s a great guide if he took you to Blueberry Hill in the Loop and to Ted Drewes, two of my all time faves! Also noteworthy is the City Museum!
    Aaron @ Aaron’s Worldwide Adventures recently posted..Is There a Pilot Onboard?

We didn’t get to see very much of St. Louis, but I was really happy with what we did see! Scott mentioned the City Museum, too, and it sounds awesome. But we just ran out of time in the day!

• Rebecca says:

I LOVED the arch!! Those sky buckets (the tram) as I call them you take to the top, scared the crap out of my mom the way they adjust when you change direction. I have a video of my family taking them to the top on a Beta tape (classic, I know) somewhere. Too funny.

And I guess “worlds only floating McDonalds” is gone?! It was in an old steamboat on the Miss River right outside the arch.

Agh, you make me want to get out my old albums!! Glad the trip is going well!
    Rebecca recently posted..Peace Out Yโ€™all!

Hahaha, “sky buckets” — that’s such a perfect way to describe them! My sister and I decided that our mom would never even climb into one. No way.

And someone else was telling us about the floating McDonald’s, too, but I guess it’s not there any more. Which is a shame, because that’s just the sort of random thing I’d totally want to go to. Lol.

• T-roy says:

Ahh to bad you didn’t make it across the river to Alton and eat at Fast Eddies. By far the best bar food in the US! For $5 you will get enough food that you won’t be able to eat it all. It’s not just the food there that is so great but also the crowd. You get everything from bikers to lawyers drinking beer there. To bad I’m in Colombia… I would have loved to have shown you around!

Ah, too bad indeed! Going to Alton and Fast Eddies actually was an option at one point, but there just simply wasn’t enough time! But there’s always next time, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Chris says:

I had no idea the arch was so impressive (or easily accessible). I’ve suddenly got a newfound interest in visiting St. Louis sometime…

Yes, it’s very impressive! I was pleasantly surprised. Though, I’m not sure if I would call those tiny pods “easily accessible”… lol.

• Scott says:

Glad you had fun in the ‘Lou and it was great meeting you in person. Glad I got to play a part on the Road Trip!
    Scott recently posted..Mexico Is A Really Dangerous Place According to Some Guy Who Has Never Been There

It was great finally meeting you, too, Scott! Thanks again for letting us invade your place for a couple nights. You helped get our road trip off to a great start!

• Juliann says:

I love these pictures of the arch. We keep meaning to go to St. Louis for a long weekend, but never get around to it. I think these pictures helped nudge us a little. Thanks for sharing!
    Juliann recently posted..Answer: I Am Oscar Wilde

Thanks, Juliann! The Arch was actually a lot cooler to visit that I thought it would be. St. Louis would make a perfect long weekend trip! You guys should do it!!

• It looks like you’ve been melting during a lot of this trip – but the pictures are worth it, and I’ll bet it’s going to be fun to look back on later!! ๐Ÿ˜‰

~Sara

Haha, you’re right! I don’t do well in extreme heat, so, yes, there was a lot of melting on this road trip! But I absolutely loved it. I already have very fond memories of the adventure. I’d love to do it again sometime!

• Maria Pavel says:

I had no idea how beautiful the place is, haven’t really been there before… I guess I need to include this in my vacation plan so I could also enjoy the place. Btw, nice shots with the arch! (”,)
    Maria Pavel recently posted..How to Open a CNA School

• Kelly says:

One of my friends has been detailing the food we are supposed to try in STL and a concrete at Ted Drewes was a big one! Did you try the pizza?
    Kelly recently posted..amber waves of grain

Yes, I had others tell me that Ted Drewes was where it’s at! The concretes are pretty darn good, if I do say so.

And yes, we did also have St. Louis pizza from Imo’s. It was good!