After having zipped around for many days without a break, we were both really looking forward to spending 2 nights in one place. And that one place happened to be beautiful Keystone, Colorado.

Colorado

Keystone is up in the Rocky Mountains — probably not a destination most people would consider for a summer getaway. And, indeed, there was hardly anyone in this little ski resort town in August (the gas station didn’t even have any gas!). But that may have made us love it even more.

Keystone Resort, Colorado

After a twisting drive through the mountains and through the small city of Dillon, we arrived in Keystone — the sleepy resort town tucked up in the mountains.

Keystone Resort, Colorado

The view from our condo balcony.

At first, the Rockies didn’t seem all that impressive. Even though there were still traces of snow on some of the peaks, the mountains just seemed… small. But then I reminded myself that we were already up above 9,000 feet, and the Rockies reached much higher than that. … Yes, THESE are mountains.

Dillon, Colorado

But, being more than 9,000 feet above sea level, it meant that the 100-degree temperatures we had just suffered in Utah were long gone. In fact, as we roamed around the resort that night, Melissa and I were actually chilly in our jeans and longsleeves. Thankfully, we had decided to pack them.

Keystone Resort, Colorado

Our adventures in Keystone itself were not all that exciting. We had a very nice dinner at a fancy restaurant (where we ate things like buffalo and elk), then roamed around the lakeshore area. In the winter, this lake is an ice skating rink. During the warmer months, however, it becomes a place for ducks to float around and for eager fishermen to practice their fly fishing.

Keystone Resort, Colorado

Keystone Resort, Colorado

Most of the businesses here were quiet, but it was beautiful walking around, even under cloudy skies. I can only imagine how completely different the energy would be here during the winter months.

Keystone Resort, Colorado

Our final Keystone highlight was taking the chair lift up the mountain in front of our condo (yes, did I mention we cozied up in a condo for 2 nights?) for some great views of the surrounding mountains.

Keystone Resort, Colorado

Even though there’s no snow this time of year, the chairlifts and gondolas still run — both for tourists like us, and for mountain bikers looking to tackle the trails that Keystone sets up in the mountains during the summer. It was strange to see people clad in knee pads and towing bicycles riding the chair lift to the top of the mountain. But it’s actually a great idea.

Keystone Resort, Colorado

And the views from the top? Unbeatable.

Keystone Resort, Colorado

I’m already looking forward to going back to Keystone next summer for TBEX!

Each day, I’ll be cutting together a quick video to show you what we’ve been up to. Here’s Day 14:

Tomorrow, we’re off on a ziplining and white water rafting adventure!

Disclaimer: Our stay in Keystone (including our condo rental, lift tickets and dinner) was provided to us on a complimentary basis by Keystone Resort. As always, though, all opinions are my own.

27 Responses to Road Trip Day 14 – Who Says You Can’t Enjoy a Ski Resort in the Summer?

1. A nice sneak peak at the location for TBEX ’12! :)

Yes! Closer to TBEX, I’ll be doing a more comprehensive preview, but I figured this would be a fun sneak peak! There’s lots to do around there, and it’s a cool little resort village!

2. Phil says:

Glad you guys got to enjoy some cooler weather. It is sometimes hard to realize how impressive the rockies are when you start at an altitude of 9,000 feet! Looks like a nice spot for TBEX :)
    Phil recently posted..Putting your African Adventure to Shame: Kilimanjaro by Lionback

The cooler weather was such a nice break from the heat! Though, next summer I’ll be sure to bring a jacket, too.

And yes, I’m really looking forward to TBEX now! Keystone will be a great venue.

3. Suzy says:

Keystone looks a lot like Breckenridge but I guess they are not far apart. I love driving by the Dillon Reservoir, it is really a shame about the Pine Beatles killing most of the pines in that region. I don’t suppose you were able to do the alpine slide in Keystone? That is one of my favorite summer activities in the mountains around those parts.

4. Looks great – I’m looking forward to TBEX. I like visiting ski resorts in summer, too. I love them in the winter for skiing, but it’s still fun to ride the lifts and see the great views.

I think TBEX there is going to be great! It will be very different from Vancouver, but I think it will still be very fun. I’ve never been to a ski resort in the summer before, so it was a really fun experience.

5. Leslie says:

Thanks for the preview of the next TBEX site!
    Leslie recently posted..Photo essay: Horseback riding at Wyoming’s Vee Bar Ranch

My pleasure! I’ll do another one close to TBEX, I think, with a sneak peak into the condo I stayed in, as well as a better idea of all the types of things on offer in and around Keystone!

6. Beautiful! The only part of Colorado I’ve ever been to is Colorado Springs, are you anywhere near that? If you are, you should check out Garden of the Gods – one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen!

Sara

We weren’t super close to Colorado Springs, no. And I’ve never been there. But I have a sneaking suspicion that all of Colorado is gorgeous!

7. That part when you head up the mountain and the landscape around you reminds me so much about the place I grow up. Yet again you managed to get me melancholic.
    Cristian Balau recently posted..Why Won’t My Step Child Listen to Me?

8. Nicole says:

Love the pictures. Whistler is another great ski resort in the summer, but from your pictures it seems like it stays a bit busier during the summer. Looking forward to checking it out next summer for TBEX!
    Nicole recently posted..Photo of the Week: Victoria Inner Harbour at Night

Thanks, Nicole! I think it will make a fun TBEX venue. Definitely different than NYC or Vancouver, but I think it has a lot of potential to be awesome. We’ll basically have the place to ourselves!

And I’m glad to hear you guys will be coming! Will Baby Canuck be tagging along too?

9. Simon Lee says:

I was having a business trip to Colorado last month and wanted to visit Keystone, unfortunately, our meeting extended and we are forced to cancel the visit:( Will definitely visit again during my next business trip:)

Simon
    Simon Lee recently posted..Buy Maerchenwald Steiemark Theme Park Ticket

Aw, too bad you couldn’t make it there. It’s a very quiet, pretty place in the summertime. But yes — next time!

10. Audrey says:

The views are beautiful! I don’t enjoy winter weather, but I would definitely visit a ski resort in the summer and make use of the lifts.
    Audrey recently posted..Buskerfest Hits The Streets

Yeah, it’s really cool that they keep the resort open and the lifts running in the summer. And the views were indeed gorgeous!

11. Maria Pavel says:

Great views especially when riding chairlifts. Who can ever imagine that everybody can enjoy the place no matter what season it is. I wish I could be off for my next vacation now…
    Maria Pavel recently posted..CNA Certification

It’s great that there are so many places around the world that can be enjoyed year-round. And Keystone is definitely one of them, I think!

12. Maria Pavel says:

Absolutely! I really enjoy this kind of trip because I do appreciate the simplicity of the nature. Nothing can beat the beauty of nature!
    Maria Pavel recently posted..Certified Nursing Assistant Salary

13. Ski Vacation says:

Very much excited for the 2011-2012 ski season. What I like in Colorado are the wonderful slopes, generous amount of snow, plenty winter activities,love the restaurants, accommodations and of course busy night life.
    Ski Vacation recently posted..SQUAW VALLEY AND ALPINE MEADOWS ANNOUNCE THE COMBINATION OF TWO LEGENDARY MOUNTAIN DESTINATIONS.

14. Alison says:

Hi!
    My name is Alison and I’m with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Keystone to share on our site and I came across your post. I’m wondering if you are open to having this blog post featured on our site, as well as some of the posts from your other travels! If so, shoot me an email at Alison(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Alison