I’ve been to plenty of pretty cities. More than one that’s made me think, “Oh yeah, I could live here.” Like Queenstown. Or Victoria.

And now I may have to add Sedona to that list.

Sedona, Arizona

Yes, Sedona, Arizona, is pretty. There’s no arguing that. In fact, it was even recently voted as one of the top 10 most beautiful places in America by viewers of Good Morning America.

I personally had no idea this little town was so picturesque. Even driving in, Sedona was deceiving — at night, the city is dark. And purposefully so. It follows nearby Flagstaff’s lead with its “dark skies” law, which made the twisting drive down a mountain and into town rather harrowing. It wasn’t until the next morning that I realized just how gorgeous a place Sedona is.

Sedona, Arizona

Situated in the Verde Valley region of Arizona, Sedona is best known for its Red Rocks. Which are pretty self-explanatory, really. And also really abundant. The color contrasts between the red rocks and vegetation are particularly stunning on a clear summer day like the one we lucked out with.

Sedona, Arizona

And can I just say that the uptown area is so darn cute? Because it is.

Sedona, ArizonaSedona, Arizona

Sedona, Arizona

I realize that living in a tourist town of 10,000 probably wouldn’t actually be all that great. But while I was in Sedona, I couldn’t help but imagine looking out my window every morning to something like this:

Sedona, Arizona

Melissa and I spent an afternoon popping in and out of shops, eating some delicious food (I seriously had the best sandwich ever at Sedona Memories Bakery Cafe), and just taking in the town. We took a tour with Sedona Trolley (surprisingly informative), and also drove out to the Chapel of the Holy Cross (surprisingly pretty).

Sedona, Arizona

Sedona, ArizonaSedona, Arizona

Chapel of the Holy Cross, Sedona, Arizona

Chapel of the Holy Cross

But, as pretty as it was, within just a couple of hours, we became sluggish. Sedona is HOT in the summer. Of course, most of the Southwest is, and Sedona DOES try to combat the heat with misting fans at just about every shop entrance.

But still. It was just so hot. So we decided to go for a swim.

Slide Rock State Park, Sedona, Arizona

Next to Red Rocks State Park, the most popular place to go in Sedona has to be Slide Rock State Park. This park is named after a natural, slippery water slide that has been carved out by the waters of Oak Creek in Oak Creek Canyon. The park is popular with both locals and tourists alike, and is absolutely worth the entrance fee ($20 per car, with up to 4 people inside).

Slide Rock State Park, Sedona, Arizona

Slide Rock State Park, Sedona, Arizona

Slide Rock is the place to go if you want to entertain the kids, or if you just want to feel like a kid yourself. Seriously — I haven’t had this much fun in a long time (see the video!).

Slide Rock State Park, Sedona, Arizona

Slide Rock State Park, Sedona, Arizona

You can even go cliff jumping into the river!

I’m so glad we added Sedona to our itinerary. It was a great little city, and I hope to get to pass through again someday so I can continue daydreaming about my fantasy house in the hills.

Sedona, Arizona

Each day, I’ll be cutting together a quick video to show you what we’ve been up to. Here’s Day 10:

Tomorrow, it’s on to Sin City — Las Vegas!

Disclaimer: Thanks to the Sedona Chamber of Commerce, we were given a discounted room at the Kokopelli Suites, passes for the Sedona Trolley, and a complimentary pass to Slide Rock State Park, among some other coupons and vouchers. As always, however, all opinions are my own.

24 Responses to Road Trip Day 10 – Sliding Through Sedona

1. Abhijit says:

Nice! Looks lovely! :)
    Abhijit recently posted..Sketching – cats and portraits

2. Tracey says:

Wow. Amazing photos. That park looks awesome too!
    Tracey recently posted..Life Changing Year Panic Attack!!

Thank you, Tracey! The park was tons of fun! Lots of people out enjoying the river along with us, and everyone was really nice.

3. Erik says:

That looks like a riot! I can’t believe you took your camera down with you. That is too cool.
    Erik recently posted..Photo of the Day- Mar Saba Monastery, West Bank, Israel

4. The contrast between the red of the rocks and the green of the cactus and other plants/trees is just amazing, especially in that first photo! With scenery like that, I can’t blame you for thinking you might want to live there… I think the weather would be the dealbreaker for me, though! :)

Sara

The colors were just phenomenal!

And, as for the weather… well, I come from Ohio, which is a land of extremes!! We get summers that hot every year, except we also have ridiculous humidity… I think Arizona would be a great compromise! Lol.

5. Steph says:

Wow I went to slide rock state park when I was a kid! I still remember it as one of the highlights of our 3 month trip- so fun!

6. Suzy says:

Wow! Memories of my childhood just came flying back! I loved this place… I remember thinking it was just like the water slides at my favorite water park but it was natural! That’s it; Grand Canyon and Sedona here I come!
    Suzy recently posted..The Wrigley Mansion Tournament House

I love that Slide Rock is just a natural spot for families to go and have fun. It’s not commercialized, it’s not plastic… just rocks — and lots of them! So much fun.

7. Danielle says:

Wow, I’ve never heard of Slide Rock State Park before. That is definitely something I want to check out in the future. The skies are so blue and the scenery is so gorgeous. Great post. :)
    Danielle recently posted..A Recap of My Weekend in Boston

Thanks, Danielle! Glad I could introduce you to something cool you hadn’t heard of before! Slide Rock is definitely unique, and most definitely worth checking out if you’re ever in the area.

8. Kyle says:

Gorgeous photos of a seriously beautiful place! As soon as I saw the first one that song, “There is no Arizona…no painted dessert, no Sedona,” popped into my head ;)
    Kyle recently posted..Peluqueria Francesa Family Session

Thanks so much, Kyle! Sedona was stunningly pretty, and I think it would have been tough to take an ugly photo there.

9. Krista C. says:

I love Sedona!!! I have spent a lot of time there, I even lived in Flagstaff for a couple of months in 2005. All of northern Arizona is amazing. I have hiked many of the trails surrounding Sedona, but I have never been there in the heat of the middle of summer, only autumn and winter. I don’t mind dry heat as much as the insane humidity of the mid-west.
    Can I mention I received an electrical shock on the hand by the holy water of the Chapel of the Holy Cross. Yes, it did happen. It’s like it knew I was not of the religion of the chapel. It freaked me out a little, I admit.

The dry heat is not nearly as bad as the humid stuff we experience back home in Ohio. But it was still quite toasty!

Freaky about getting shocked at the chapel, though!

10. Claire says:

Way to score the complimentary stuff! Our entrance to Slide Rock State Park was complimentary as well…….but only because we parked on the side of the road! Haha. The road to get there is full of crazy twists and turns if you are coming from the Flagstaff area. Sedona is full of eye-popping views and your pictures do them justice!
    Claire recently posted..My 7 Links: I’m One of the Cool Kids Now

Haha we saw some others sneaking in that way, too!! And yes, we too made the ridiculously twisty drive to Sedona from Flagstaff. At night. It was a bit scary, to say the least!

11. Cleo Melendez says:

Our entrance to Slide Rock State Park was complimentary as well…….but only because we parked on the side of the road! It was fun being able to film it! Nice! The dry heat is not nearly as bad as the humid stuff we experience back home in Ohio.

Haha, nice! And you’re right about the heat — I’ll take the dry heat out West over the humid stuff in Ohio any day!

12. I love Slide Rock and Sedona. I am hoping to convince the family to head down there for a day trip from Flagstaff. Used to camp out there during my ASU days. Hopefully it won’t be too cold to enjoy Slide Rock. What camera are you using, these are great clear shots? Are you using a filter?
    Affordable Entrepreneur recently posted..The answer is “Yes, you can get a GREAT logo for FIVE BUCKS too!!!”

Slide Rock is SO FUN. I’d love to go there again myself.

As for what I shoot with, these photos were taken a few years ago. I was just using a Canon Powershot camera back then, as well as a Kodak Playsport for the video and shots in/near the water.