Last week, I wrote a post about my day spent on Kapiti Island, a nature preserve and bird sanctuary located just a few miles off the coast of New Zealand’s North Island.

After an afternoon full of hiking and birdwatching, I returned to the mainland for a bit of a rest before dinner. I decided to take a walk along the nearly-deserted Paraparaumu Beach, and ended up witnessing one of the most striking sunsets I have ever seen.

Here are some of my favorite photos from that evening:

Paraparaumu Beach, New Zealand

Walking out to Paraparaumu Beach, with Kapiti Island in the distance.

Paraparaumu Beach, New Zealand

Paraparaumu Beach, New Zealand

On the beach.

Paraparaumu Beach, New Zealand

That land mass in the distance is the tip of the South Island. You can see it from here on clear days.

Paraparaumu Beach, New Zealand

For a while, it was just me and the birds on the beach.

Paraparaumu Beach, New Zealand

Some others came out to take in the colorful sunset, too, eventually.

Paraparaumu Beach, New Zealand

The sun eventually slipped behind Kapiti Island, with one last burst of orange.

And to think — people were trying to dissuade me from visiting the Kapiti Coast! I would come back for the sunsets alone.

What do you think? Was this a worthwhile sunset?

Tagged with →

32 Responses to Photo Essay: A Colorful Kapiti Sunset

1. Audrey says:

I like the reflection of the clouds on the 2nd photo. :) Beautiful sunset!
    Audrey recently posted..My 7 Links: The Travel Blogging Project

2. Erik says:

I’m partial to sunsets over water, but the colorful one are also awesome.

You’ll find some awesome ones in the desert when you are Out West, too.
    Erik recently posted..Three Football Games in One Day

3. Linda says:

Oh – never listen to what other people say!! These photos are magnificent! I appreciate them even more because I have just gotten in from seeing what is possibly the most beautiful sunset I’ve ever seen, which is saying something for this island on which I’m living. I am so wound up that your pictures make me want to cry!

It’s why I always go with my gut when it comes to travel! (That, and, once I make plans, I like to follow through and stick to them!)

Thanks so much for the kind words about my photos. But please don’t cry! :)

4. Candice says:

Oh damn, that’s gorgeous!

Isn’t it, though?? It never ceases to amaze me all the colors clouds are capable of turning.

I think my favorite sunsets are starting to one-up each other, though. As soon as I dub one my “favorite,” another comes along that’s even better!

5. Faith says:

Oh my gosh, definitely a worthwhile sunset, for the pictures alone! How amazing. So brilliant! I really love the photo with the tire tracks on the beach. Such great colors :D

The photo with the tire tracks is one of my new favorite NZ photos, I think!

Thanks for taking a look, Faith!

6. Janie Walker says:

So amazing Amanda. As a Kapiti local I see this all the time, especially of Kapiti Island. But, seeing it through your eyes makes me realise just how lucky we are!
    Janie Walker recently posted..Wedding photographer, Writer, Communications

7. Leif Harum says:

Holly Moley, How beautiful is this place. Sublime. I gotta go!
    Leif Harum recently posted..How To Become A Pirate

Yes, GO! GO NOW! I never believed New Zealand could possibly be as pretty as it is in pictures. And it isn’t — it’s even prettier.

8. I would go for those amazing sunsets. Nice photos!
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Aussies and Empanadas

9. Travel Jobs says:

Been taking pictures of the places I’ve been to, but I have never captured perfect picture like what you have. Maybe the problem is with the camera I’ve been using.

Sometimes, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. I don’t use a very fancy camera — just a point-and-shoot. So you definitely don’t need expensive equipment to get great photos!

10. Bob Crunch says:

Those photos are breath-taking. Such crystal clear images. What kind of camera did you use?

Thanks, Bob! I just use a Canon PowerShot SX210 — a fancy point-and-shoot that is still small enough to fit in my pocket. You don’t need an expensive camera to take amazing photos in New Zealand; everything there is just so photogenic!

11. Alouise says:

I think you made the right choice. The sunset photos look stunning, I can only imagine what it’d be like seeing it in person.
    Alouise recently posted..Road Trip Memories Week 11 – Biggar, Saskatchewan

It was amazing in person, too. Many spots in New Zealand have the ability to almost bring me to tears, and this was definitely one of them.

12. Nice pics mate. I wanna spend my time to New Zealand right now i’m looking for overseas holiday packages to NZ.

Thanks! New Zealand is great — and it’s ski season now, which is always a fun time to be there.

13. [...] sunset: At Paraparaumu Beach on New Zealand’s Kapiti [...]

14. [...] would also suggest heading up to the beautiful Kapiti Coast (an hour by train from Wellington to Paraparaumu). Here, consider planning a visit to the bird [...]

15. Those are some incredible pictures! You are right, they should all be printed and displayed! Nice.
    Raul (@ilivetotravel) recently posted..Photo Essay – Colors of Jordan