If I Were a Funny Travel Writer

Life is full of “ifs.”

So is travel.

Write

Photo by spaceamoeba

And so, too, is travel writing.

As a self-professed writer, I’m always trying to improve my style, tweak my vocabulary, and generally make sure that my “voice” shines through in everything that I write — from e-mails to blog posts.

Over the years, I feel like I’ve settled into this “voice” nicely. As long as my teachers and professors weren’t stringing me along, I’ve been lead to believe that I do, in fact, have a “unique” writing voice in everything that I compose.

I’m proud of this voice. It’s fluid. It’s easy to read. And it’s mine.

But sometimes, I can’t help wondering what my writing would be like if I were funny.

And I’m not just talking about sometimes sarcastic or occasionally witty — I mean laugh-out-loud funny. The type of funny that comes naturally, yet is still somehow unexpected. Funny like Bill Bryson or J. Maarten Troost.

I read plenty of travel blogs with funny writers working diligently behind the scenes. Sally of Unbrave Girl can make even cookies and pants hilarious. Candice of Candice Does the World can poke fun at everything and everyone and still come off as charming. Michael of Go, See, Write can take a typical travel post and turn it completely upside down with his sense of humor.

I love reading all these blogs. I love laughing at them. But, secretly, I’m kind of jealous of them, too.

Yes, I love my writing style. But what if, what if, what if…

It’s not like I have a ton of side-splitting travel stories lurking around untold, or any particularly amusing misadventures that I haven’t written about yet. But I can’t help thinking that, if I were a funny travel writer, I could tell some of my stories so much better.

“A-maze-ing Laughter”

Photo by sadi junior

If I were a funny travel writer…

… I would know all the right words and phrases to use to express how terrifying and yet ridiculously funny it was to be lost in Beijing, only to end up in an all-Asian techno club with 5 other Americans, where I promptly was dance-raped by a drunk, unnaturally tall Chinese man while a dude dressed like Michael Jackson did magic tricks in the corner.

… I could ruminate in hilarious detail about the time my friend Tucky got locked out of his hotel room in Rome, and was subsequently dressed for dinner using a hodgepodge of clothing from various girls’ suitcases.

… I would be able to properly capture the tear-inducing laughter that took place on an afternoon where I unknowingly left the parking brake on in a rental car in New Zealand, and proceeded to drive for a mile or two down the Wellington Motorway with the car screeching horribly.

But you know what? I’m just not one of those innately funny travel writers that I so admire. And maybe that’s part of the reason why I admire them so much and follow their adventures so diligently.

However, as I’ve progressed as a writer (travel or otherwise), I’ve come to realize that you can’t possibly be or do all things.

Sure, I could competently write a technical manual or an article about geology. Those are just subjects; subjects that can be researched or learned about.

But style? Style can’t be learned. Style and voice can only evolve naturally over the years.

So I have to come to terms with the fact that my writing style has evolved away from funny. In fact, I’m not sure it was ever funny (except maybe during this project). And that’s okay.

I’ve come to realize that, just because I can’t write stories that make you fall out of your chair laughing, that doesn’t mean I’m a bad writer. It doesn’t even mean that I’m not entertaining.

It just means that I’m not funny.

But I hope you still like me anyway.

Do you ever struggle with your writing style? How do you deal with being frustrated when you can write in a certain way that you wish you could?

• Dan Collins says:

I agree with your list of funny bloggers! There have been many times where Sally’s posts have made me laugh out loud!

As for my writing… never mind being funny, I just wish I could string a sentence together that actually makes sense!
    Dan Collins recently posted..Latest Drawing- Katy Perry

Haha, oh Dan. As far as I can tell, all your sentences here make perfect sense! Thanks for reading, friend.

• Alouise says:

I can relate to this; we’ve been talking about style in my writing class. Everyone has their own style that’s natural to their writing, but I’ve learned that writing isn’t effortless. It takes time, rewriting to perfect. One of my favourite authors is Hunter S. Thompson, his gonzo writing is unique, brash, and hilarious. Reading a novel like Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas is seems like he just wrote whatever popped in his head. But comparing it to his earlier works (like the letters he wrote in The Proud Highway) there’s definitely an improvement. It’s not like his style completely changed, but it got better. So maybe you’re funnier than you think. I don’t know. The stories you mentioned sound pretty amusing. Either way I think people still like you.
    Alouise recently posted..Musings from a NYC NonExpert

I think a lot of the evolution of a writer’s style has to do with how much they write. The more you write, the more you’re going to settle into the style that’s very “you.” Practice, practice, practice, right? It’s fun to watch a writer evolve over time. One of my favorite examples is J.K. Rowling in her “Harry Potter” books. She was never a bad writer, but her style definitely improved from book to book.

And yay for people still liking me! Haha. 😉 Thanks for reading, Alouise.

• Not only do I like you, but I admire you. I enjoy reading your posts and seeing what you have to say because of your intelligence and the interesting perspectives you share. I especially like how authentic and down to earth you are, etc. It’s refreshing.

What I struggle with, in terms of writing, is editing myself and keeping posts short. If I’m not careful, I can complicate things and be a bit too long-winded. I often have to create copies of drafts and then paste small parts in to see if I can be OK with less.
    Lisa @chickybus recently posted..Monterrico- Madness- Mischief and a Pissy Pelican video tale &amp tips

Wow, thanks, Lisa. I can’t tell you how much this comment just made my day! I try to just be myself when I write – that’s a big part of my style, as far as I’m concerned. So I’m so glad that this comes across to you!

I can be a very long-winded writer, too. In fact, most of my posts end up being well over 1000 words! I know this is usually discouraged in blogging, but I can’t help it. I get very attached to my writing, and also often have trouble editing myself – you’re not alone there! But, this is just part of my style. And I’d hate to sacrifice that just to try and meet “ideal” word counts.

Now, when I actually have a word limit, THAT’S when things get interesting…

• Candice says:

Thanks for the shout-out, Amanda! Don’t worry about being funny, worry about developing your own particular style. You’re not a Debbie-Downer and your stories are always great, and you’ve risen so quickly in the travel blogging ranks, I think you’ll do just fine. But I WOULD like to hear those stories. 😉
    Candice recently posted..Life Advice- On Studying Abroad and the Speed of Land Animals

Well I couldn’t write a post about funny travel writers and not include you, Candice! Thanks for the support, though! Like I said, I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m just not naturally funny.

And, I actually have told all those stories in little snippets in older blog posts, but maybe I’ll have a go eventually at tackling at least one of them in a post on its own. 😉 That Chinese techno club was WILD.

• Laurence says:

Great post, and have to agree, it’s one of those things that takes practice. Writing style that is. I feel like I vary wildly in writing style, and I have the same problem others have mentioned, despite furious editing and rewrites, I usually end up many words longer in post than I originally intended. Oh, and sentences that are clearly too long. Still, maybe rambling is my style. Just like I’m starting to do in this comment field…
    Laurence recently posted..Road sickness

I love your writing style, though, Laurence! Every time I read one of your posts, I think to myself, “Wow, he can WRITE!” And I kind of like when writers digress (or “ramble”) in a post from time to time. Sometimes it makes things more interesting.

• Sarah says:

You have taken the words right out of my own un-funny mouth! I have been struggling with this too recently. And Sally has a lot to answer for in making the rest of us feel bad. She has one of those, apparently natural, writing voices which just pulls you in and gets you laughing. I always feel as though my writing voice sounds like I’m trying too hard – and a lot of the time I think it’s because I am. I’ve got a tad of the perfectionist gene in me and I get very caught up in making everything sound exactly the way I want it to. I’m trying to relax on that and I’m hoping that my humour will come through naturally. If that doesn’t work I can always trying writing some of those technical manuals…

Oh, and I very much like your writing 🙂
    Sarah recently posted..Pretending Not to be a Backpacker

I think we’re all agreed: It’s all Sally’s fault! Haha. I should probably alert her to this, and tell her to stop being so damn funny all the time!

I know what you mean about trying too hard. I used to struggle with that, too. But I learned that the best way to combat this is to just write, without re-reading or editing what you’re writing until you’re completely done. For me, this helps me keep the same tone and flow throughout whatever I’m writing. And I don’t think about it as much as I go. Often, I’m actually really surprised and pleased when I go back and read the finished product!

• Sally says:

MY fault? How is this MY fault?

I’m very flattered that you all think I’m funny (you ALL do, right? RIGHT?!). As far as being “naturally funny,” well… honestly, I’m not. I’ve had my blog for four years (FOUR! Yikes!) and you should have seen some of my first entries. Dismal doesn’t even begin to describe it. Despite having taken creative writing classes in college & studying improv comedy for years, it still took me a really long time to develop my blogging voice (like.. umm… three of those four years). I still spend a ridiculous amount of time on each post and have the hardest time editing stuff (you might have noticed… there’s a reason why my posts are 2,000 words long!). And I nit-pick over the smallest things, so that even after publishing posts, I’ve been known to go back and tweak stuff.

I don’t think everyone should be a funny writer. I do, like a lot of people said in the comments, think it’s important to be a true writer (not, like “tell the truth” kind of writer because who does that? but like true-to-yourself kind of writer). There are a lot of bloggers out there pretending to be someone or something they’re not, so it’s always refreshing to read someone who I feel is being honest and open and totally themselves.
        Being genuine in your writing is much more important than being funny…. and probably even HARDER. I mean, it’s tough, this honesty thing! (Trust me, I’d much rather pretend to be someone else… preferably someone with a smaller pants size… and maybe less of an addiction to cookies… and, you know, hair that actually cooperates now and then.)

And, umm, yeah, I totally think you should spill some of these stories — I definitely need to hear the one about the Beijing techno club!

It’s ALL your fault! 😉

But seriously. Even your comment made me chuckle. (Maybe it’s all the talk of pants? I think that must be it.)

Thanks for sharing that even you, o hilarious one, struggle with your writing style, though. That makes me feel a tad bit better. And I agree about just being yourself in your writing — whoever that self may be. I’d much rather have people find my writing genuine than funny for funny’s sake. Hopefully I’m one of those “refreshing” bloggers for at least one person out there!

I’ll get to work on the Beijing story…

• Jeez, damned by faint praise. Putting me in the funny category with you. Genuine? You use a cartoon as your avatar. Funny…. or just long-winded? Who the heck is doing this rating service??

Wait…. I use a cartoon avatar. I am incredibly long-winded. Frack. Sod it.
          Michael Hodson recently posted..My Favorite Travel Books Part One

Hahaha. See? Funny.

• Sally says:

Ask who has met me, that cartoon looks JUST like me. I even wear the cape around sometimes. (The go-go boots, unfortunately, were confiscated at the Singapore border crossing. Dangit.)

• Christine says:

I’m definitely not a “funny” travel writer either, but one of the greatest compliments someone gave me was that in real life, I sound just like I write. The fact that my writing is genuine–and sounds like ME to people that both know and don’t know me–is way more important to me. A great Bill Cosby quote: “I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.” Just keep doing what you do!

Thanks for the great insight (and Bill Cosby quote), Christine! I also am told every now and then that I write the way I talk. And I, too, think this is a great compliment! It’s exactly what I’m going for. I love people who are able to write in that easy, conversational tone. It makes me feel like I’m getting to know them (the “real” them) through their writing.

And, I love the way you write!

• Anthony says:

Last winter my boss and I went for a coffee after work and he told me with a smug grin that we were meeting his “friend” for a quick drink. I thought it might be a hot girl or something because of his suspicious demeanor, until a bearded bloke came over and spoke in an American accent that I’d never heard before.

It was the one and only, Bill Bryson! True story, I nearly fell off my stool. He’s as funny and interesting in person but unfortunately I completely lost the capability to ask him any question that didn’t sound dumb!!!

Holy cow, wow! That’s so awesome. And I’m glad you said he’s just as funny and interesting in person. It’s always nice to hear that people you admire aren’t assholes in real life.

• Anthony says:

Oh he was far from an asshole, he even bought the tea haha. Steve said “this is Anthony,he’s a fan of yours.” He shook my hand and said “then I’m a fan of YOURS.” haha, smooth!

Apologies for the shameless name dropping Amanda, but I just couldn’t resist! 😛

• Monica says:

This post actually made me laugh. Thats got to be a talent when you made my laugh while talking about how unfunny you are! And its great that you know your writing style. I think that recognising your strengths it the best way to help improve and develop your writing. I’m still working on my style, it seems to change everyday with my mood or even what time of the day it is! I’m very serious in the morning (now) and get more lighthearted by night time!
    Monica recently posted..Diving- USAT Liberty Shipwreck- Tulamben- Bali

Haha, thanks, Monica! Maybe I’m funnier than I thought?? Good luck working on your style. My advice is just to write, write, write!!

• Andrea says:

Great post! I just read a travel post about two minutes ago that was so good it made me want to tear down my site and start over. Do you think your journalism training is to blame? Because I’m not a funny writer either and I was trained as a journalist – very factual, upside-down pyramid, short paragraphs, just the facts ma’am and all tha jazz. Some of my favourite writers aren’t even laugh out loud funny, they just write like words are musical notes if that makes sense…it’s very hard not to compare oneself to those you admire!
    Andrea recently posted..Taking the Long Way to Pucón

I hate coming across posts that are so amazing that you start to convince yourself that you’re doing it all wrong!

And I suppose my journalism training could be partly to blame… though, I realized early on in j-school that I was not cut out to be a news writer. I hate the dull factual stuff. I stuck to features as much as possible, which I think helped me be able to retain my voice in my writing, even when it was appearing in newsprint. But I’m sure that some of those news “rules” ingrained themselves in me somewhere… Interesting theory!

• neha says:

You’re being harsh on yourself, this post has a ton of wit about it.
    neha recently posted..Away At Home

You think? Well thank you! Though I could argue that there’s a difference between wit and humor… but I’ll take the compliment! 🙂

• I feel the same way, it must be so great to be a funny writer by nature. And actually, I think it’s a must if you want to become an established travel writer. Bill Bryson, Peter Moore, Chuck Thompson are all very funny. So is Paul Theroux in his own sarcastic way and even Redmond O’Hanlon, the scientist, isn’t afraid of a funnuy note now and then.
    Nicolas De Corte recently posted..Airport Games

I don’t think being funny is a requirement for good travel writers, nor does being funny automatically make you a good travel writer! … But I think it probably does help. I think part of this reason, though, is due to the fact that funny writers just appear more confident in their writing – at least, I think they do.

• Ayngelina says:

Oh how I would love to be funny. But like in life, I find people on my blog laugh AT me rather than WITH me.

But it´s been that way forever so I´m okay with that. At least they are laughing.
    Ayngelina recently posted..A smile saves a solo traveler

Yes, at least they’re laughing! And, if it’s any consolation, Ayngelina, I love your blog and your writing style!

• In all seriousness (yes, I do that occasionally also), thank you so much for including me with these truly funny writers. I am glad that snark, insults, and poking fun at societal norms are considered high humor these days — cause that, plus occasional over indulgence of red wine, is about all I got these days for my “voice.” Damn it.
    Michael Hodson recently posted..Top 10 Months to Travel

You’re welcome, Michael. I really respect you and your writing, even if you don’t even always take it seriously! And I know I’m definitely not the only one.

• Well, I had a hearty LOL at this post, imagining you screeching around with the E-brake on!

We are who we are. Funny, witty, insightful, whatever. We’d all love to be everything at once, but we’re stuck with what we got! It’s like saying that I wish I had Pam Anderson’s rack – it’s just not possible. Well, I suppose I could BUY that one, but you get my point… 🙂

You do “what you do” VERY well – no need to wish for anything else! 🙂
    Dalene – Hecktic Travels recently posted..Two Meetings

Thanks, Dalene! And you said it – we are who we are. Despite my green-faced envy every now and then when I read a truly funny post on another blog, I’m actually really happy with who I am as a writer. … Most days. 😉

• Joel says:

Being funny is hard work for most people. It definitely takes a skewed view of the world, as well as honing the phrasing until it’s as sharp as it can be.

I honestly found it exhausting to try to inject humor into every post and it made me write less frequently. Now, when I write about my travels, I’d rather just write what’s on my mind and if something funny pops up, that’s great.

As you say, it’s about finding your own voice. Writing in a way that is naturally funny is definitely an enviable gift.
    Joel recently posted..The Mystery Machine- Road Trip Day 1

Thanks for reading, Joel. And I agree that being able to write in a way that is naturally funny is enviable. I know if I tried to be funny even occasionally, it would probably frustrate me and cause me to go off my writing a bit. I don’t like writing when it’s forced, and writing “funny” often feels very forced when I try to do it.

As for the skewed world view, however… well, that kind of comes with the territory of being a journalist. So I think I’ve got that down. Haha.

• Maria Pavel says:

If it’s not in your nature, you can’t do it. That’s not a bad thing at all, we all have our strengths and weaknesses, all of them in good measure.
    I’ve actually never encountered a “funny” travel blog, but i’ll take a look at those examples you provided and come back with an opinion.
    Maria Pavel recently posted..Certified Nursing Assistant Practice Test

Thanks, Maria. And yes, you should definitely check out some of those blogs I mentioned! They’re well worth a read.

• Haha don’t worry Amanda, I still think you’re funny! 🙂

Every writer definitely has the own distinct voice! After all, if we were all funny, wouldn’t the world get a bit dull from everyone being similar?
    Aaron @ Aaron’s Worldwide Adventures recently posted..“Be Safe…You Might Get Bombed”

I definitely wouldn’t want ALL writers to be funny. Like you said, things would get a bit dull if everyone wrote in the same style.

And thanks for saying you think I’m funny! Haha.

• Renee says:

I started my blog out with a pretty serious tone. I wanted to be more informational/instructional/, though that wasn’t really representative of me as a person. I’ve recently begun to be more open, humorous (though the jury is still out on that one) which can be tricky if people are used to seeing you in a certain light. In the end, you have to be true to yourself to find your own voice and stick with it. It may rub some the wrong way, but so be it. You have to follow your own counsel and do what is comfortable to and for you. I think eventually people come to respect you if you don’t sell out and hold still to your true values.
    Renee recently posted..The Inspired Traveler 3 – Nicolas de Corte

Great comment, Renee. And I’m glad to hear that you’ve begun to be more open and yourself in your writing. I agree about your last comment – if people see you as being genuine (no matter what your style is or isn’t), they are much more likely to respect you and listen to what you have to say.

• Bocas Girl says:

Humor can make viewers want to read more of your posts but that depends on your topic. I think its okay to join the group of funny traveler writers but you must establish your distinctive style of writing or like they say it will be boring to read.
    Bocas Girl recently posted..KoKo Sunset

For me, trying to be funny generally doesn’t work. The word “trying” being the key there. My best writing is done when I’m not really trying – when I just let myself write and see what comes out. If it’s funny, great. If not, at least it’s still true to my style!

• Those list of blogs are nice and tend to have me laughing. I write and wish I could offer more of a humorous side of things. That takes a little time and practice if not I will continue with I am good with.
    Bluegreen Kirk recently posted..A Snorkeling Vacation In Dry Tortugas Offers Reefs Of Fun And Adventure

Thanks for reading, and I’m glad that the blogs I listed make you laugh, too. 🙂 Don’t worry about being funny if it’s not your thing. Like I’ve come to realize, sometimes you just have to let your style develop on your own. Like you said – continue with what you’re good at.

• Interesting piece. Glad you’ve found — and like, overall — your voice. It’s sometimes overwhelming to see how other people write and wonder if you should write the same way, especially if they seem popular or successful. I wonder how early our “voice” is chosen or developed. Experts say you’re personality is formed at a very young age — if you wrote a blog post at 10, would if have the same voice as you at 20 to a certain degree?

That’s an interesting question, Lauren. I feel like my writing “voice” was developed, at the very least, by high school. Maybe even earlier. Hmm, maybe I should go back and look at some of those old middle-school essays! Haha.

• Juliann says:

I agree with your writing teachers: you have definitely developed your “voice.” And it is funny. I hope you’re not really falling into the trap of comparing yourself to others. That’s dangerous business.

I would love to be a funny travel writer like the ones you mention, too. I think I’ve found my voice. It’s not necessarily funny or unfunny, but it is uniquely mine. My biggest problem is getting sick of my own voice. That’s when I have to shift to fiction so that I can “hear” someone else.

Nice post. I look forward to reading more.
    Juliann recently posted..Doing the Horse Story

Thanks, Juliann. And don’t worry – I’m not falling into that “trap” of comparing myself to others! I really like my voice, whether it’s funny or not!

• fotoeins says:

What I’ve enjoyed from your blog posts is your unique voice. It’s what keeps me coming back for more; voice is also true for a variety of (travel) blog authors who’re able to blend their personal and unique experiences into their own words. Well … `nuff of my yappin’, and more reading your NZ articles …
    fotoeins recently posted..The humble currywurst

Thank you so much; this comment really made me smile. I certainly hope I have a writing voice that others can relate to and enjoy (even if it’s not always very funny), and you saying my voice is what keeps you coming back just made my morning! 🙂

• NLM says:

I enjoy reading your posts, funny or not. For me, anyway, the tone of each of my posts is about 50% governed by the subject and about 50% by the mood I’m in when I flip the computer open. Just keep having fun–
    Peace,
    Nancy
    NLM recently posted..Is that …. Snake?

• Sometimes travel writing and humor do not go hand in hand anyway. Sure, some people like Bryson, Paul Theroux, and the bloggers you mentioned can pull it off at times. On the other hand, I have read a few blogs and travel articles where the author tried to be funny (and some where), but they spent so much time and energy on trying to be funny that they did not really impart much wisdom on the travel front. If I want to laugh I will pull up a Mitch Hedburg stand up routine on youtube. If I want to read about travel, I will read a travel blog. Sometimes the two do not mix.
    Traveling Ted recently posted..The soulful squirrel monkey asks me why in Corcovado National Park

Very good point, Ted. Though there are some travel bloggers who I think are funny without much effort, and those are the ones I most like reading if I want a chuckle. 🙂

• Ryan Brown says:

I really dig your writing Amanda, no need to be funny, your “voice” rocks! I am still trying to figure out mine, and learn to write better at the same time. My original posts were more inspirational, but my friends said I wasn’t writing like myself. i love to joke, and seems like a few people get chuckles from my writing, but I am still trying to find my voice and still providing great info.
    Ryan Brown recently posted..Photo Essay: Rugby Sevens Party (And Costumes!)

Finding your voice can be a tricky thing — I’m just lucky that I had 4 years of journalism school to really develop mine. 😉 It really is important to make your writing feel “real” and honest though. It’s what makes people want to read!

• I really enjoy your writing. But I also LOVE the writers you mentioned. I think there is a venue for all! Great story tellers have different audiences, or similar audiences looking for different flavors:) I am just starting my travel blog http://www.thewondersofwandering.com/ and I can tell you I WISH the same thing… why oh why wasn’t I gifted with the wit of a comedian, the writing ability to match the greats, and a photography skill to amaze the masses…Eh well alas perhaps I will find I am a jack of all trades and a master of none, rounding out my blogging to the oh so cozy… Just Right.

As long as you find YOUR voice, it doesn’t really matter what it is. If it’s yours and its genuine, chances are people will respond positively to it.

• Sofie says:

Old post, but a great one.
    And I still like you:)
    As a still starting blogger, I’m still trying to find my voice. Just like you I admire those funny writers, but I also realize I’m not one of them.
    I cannot define my style quite yet, but one day I hope to say: “that voice right there, that’s mine”.
    Sofie recently posted..Dawn patrol in Umbria

Finding your voice definitely takes time, but it will happen! Sounds like you’re well on your way. 🙂

• Mike Orobona says:

My personal feeling, and it may not carry any weight, is that the best humor is born out of things most or all of the audience can relate to. The more general or mundane the experience, the greater number of people that can relate. I think Bryson is so funny in that–while he does marvelous things–he often dwells on stuff that resonates with everyone. That’s why the most popular humor is either sublime, or the bathroom variety.

Ultimately though, you have to write…you. It may be a lot of the funny people can’t do that and wish they could.

As a geologist, I look forward to your article on geology.
    Mike Orobona recently posted..Carnival on the Caribbean – Mounting Casualties on the Barrier Reef

I definitely agree with you, Mike. And it goes for any sort of writing, really. You will always get the best response when you make your story relatable!

• Michelle says:

I just found you, and Sally the Awesome Unbrave Girl, and in just a few posts I think you two have reenergised me with my writing! My blog hit a milestone last week – 100 posts! in 3 years! yeah, I think I need to step it up a notch – and I was feeling distinctly middle-aged and kind of deflated about it. And worrying that I didn’t ‘sound’ right and being scared to be myself. But now I’ve realised all I need to do is write like me; and I’m the only me so no one can tell me I’m doing it wrong.
    Thank you Amanda! I look forward to catching up on your back catalogue. 🙂
    Michelle recently posted..Dear Lobsters…

That’s the great thing about blogging – you can be writing about the same thing as 1,000 other people, but NONE of them are going to be writing exactly the way you do. Because it’s your unique voice that will make your blog special!